The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

4 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

JB trades 3 of the players he brought in and 3 of his draft picks for another 30 yr old on the downside of his career and a player needing to be signed

This guy is a genius

Other Gm's must love him

Hope that they do.

JB : Hey Kenny, I can help you solve your goaltending problem. Holtby is available.

KH: Jim, will you take Drai in return.

JB: Nope not enough.

KH: Ok we’ll throw in our first round pick, but only if you add that Virtanen kid.

JB: Welll… ok then. 

I do like the concept behind this deal and a big fan of OEL and Garland.

But I wish the sequence began with getting Philadelphia's 14th pick and a 2nd for Nate Schmidt (not Buffalo) and then trading that 14 overall to Arizona in the OEL deal while we kept our 9th overall. Always better to have your cake and eat it too.

That would have left us with two 2nd's and enough cap space to replace Schmidt.

This Garland kid seems like a real beauty.  Adding him and Dickinson plus Podkolzin really rounds out the top 9.

Moving out Beagle also opens up options for 4C… personally, I’d like a super discounted Sutter but I’m excited to see what happens.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Also remember, We are back to the normal divisions. I can see our PP eating teams alive. I can also see us fixing that late game collapse we do soo many times a year that cause us those 10+ points we needed to make the playoffs. And you know, If demko keeps improving. The potential this team oozes is unreal. SUPERSTAR at every position, Multiple actually! If we can just put it all together, all young enough to be a powerhouse for the next 5-10 years. 

Keep it up JB. How anyone is not stoked is crazy. We finally can dress 19 NHL players a night, not 15

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

All I can tell you is those who are losing their minds didn’t have much of one to begin with. 

Garland is a beaut. 

Getting rid of our albatrosses is a god-send. 

This was a solid trade. It will help the team and I’m happy with it. 

This trade will make more sense once the second part of it with a Holtby/Schmidt/Virt second feature makes this trade make more sense. 

This is just the first move in a larger game plan. If it works(and I mean IF) this could make our team a solid playoff team for years upcoming. 

Wait, I thought we were supposed to be competing for the “Futures’ Cap Space Cup” by the looks of some of these posts…

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, newgm said:

I do like the concept behind this deal and a big fan of OEL and Garland.

But I wish the sequence began with getting Philadelphia's 14th pick and a 2nd for Nate Schmidt (not Buffalo) and then trading that 14 overall to Arizona in the OEL deal while we kept our 9th overall. Always better to have your cake and eat it too.

That would have left us with two 2nd's and enough cap space to replace Schmidt.

I don’t think we could get the 14 OA plus a 2nd for Schmidt, just my opinion.