The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

2 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Hopefully OEL slots in and meshes with our Defense.

Maybe induce the Eagle to give a huge hometown discount to come back, too.  While not BBF's, OEL took #23 as a sign of respect for Edler, whom he modelled himself on when turning pro.   (If so, one or the other would need to switch - maybe take #32?)

• Like 1

Just now, gurn said:

Gudbranson, at vastly reduced money and limited ice time.

I'm one of those that loved Guddy, not his contract, but that guy is a stud.

Would welcome him back as a 7th D any day. Phil Blunt was mentioning that in another thread.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

With respect Mikey:

Petey

Boeser

Hoglander

Podkolzin

Hughes

Rathbone

Garland

all added by Jim in the last few years since the Sedin era ended. We are now a team with a F group avg age <26 and no player over 31. 

Not sure I see the same danger 

This team needs more impact players on cheap contracts and to shed the big ones to sign those cheap contracts. One of the best ways to get cheap contracts is through drafting and we consistently toss our ability (our best asset) to draft out on a consistent basis to remain "competitive". 

In a couple seasons we were laughing with cap space to work with, and we keep seeing stupid teams spend to the cap and then losing assets. Why don't we be one of the smart ones and take advantage with our cap space? Even when the Canucks were competitive we had the ability to make good moves at the deadline. What value do we have at a deadline if this team exceeds expectations? 

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Sure he is - and for sure was that year.   Took our crap 23rd overall PP and bumped it up to 9th.   Sucks we haven't seen much better, but that's enough to be one of the better/best RWs PGP over his tenure so far.    Tons of teams would love to have our calder runner up.    For context go back and look at the players back in the 80's that made the all-star games.   BB would have made it on his own steam his rookie year for sure.   EDM had 11 one year and some weren't HHOF types of course.   I don't like the participation ribbons either.   But BB deserved to be there his rookie year absolutely. 

I never said he didnt deserve to be there.

I said being at the all star game doesnt make you a star player. People throw that description around far too loosely. There are only a handful of true star players in the nhl. Being a good one or a very good one isnt an insult to Boeser. But he is not a star player - yet. Hopefully he becomes one.

• Like 1

Conor Mcgregor Sport GIF by UFC

18 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Is that Conor's brother? What parent would give their kids such similar sounding names..  very confusing 

I think he's mcgregor s cousin actually.  Hopefully he doesn't have the same ankle issues 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Tom Sestito said:

How are some of you calling OEL a top pairing or top four defender when he wasn’t used that way in Arizona last year and got killed in a smaller role?

Disconnect with Tocchet leading to disillusion with the team.

4 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

All I can tell you is those who are losing their minds didn’t have much of one to begin with. 

Garland is a beaut. 

Getting rid of our albatrosses is a god-send. 

This was a solid trade. It will help the team and I’m happy with it. 

This trade will make more sense once the second part of it with a Holtby/Schmidt/Virt second feature makes this trade make more sense. 

This is just the first move in a larger game plan. If it works(and I mean IF) this could make our team a solid playoff team for years upcoming. 

So you trust a guy who made those albatross contracts and finally got rid of them for a guy past his prime for a first rounder who could become the next petey podz boes etc.

4 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Maybe induce the Eagle to give a huge hometown discount to come back, too.  While not BBF's, OEL took #23 as a sign of respect for Edler, whom he modelled himself on when turning pro.   (If so, one or the other would need to switch - maybe take #32?)

fake news

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cuporbust said:

This kid will be a HUGE addition.  I'm so excited about this trade 

He's already becoming a fan fav.

Sounds confident and a sh&t disturber.

That said he's not confident on his height, doesn't know if he is 5'7 or 5'8 ?

...It's hard to be a perimeter player when you're 5'7 or 5'8 like I am

:P

22 minutes ago, oldnews said:

It's a solid deal for this team imo.

But it's also timely - and sends a very strong, positive message right before the UFA market opens up.

This.... it has a lot of positives for so many reasons...

Also shows our core that Benning want to win now...

Boys, We are adding a brad shaw inspired style along with OEL, Garland, Dickinson ( so far ) , While REMOVING loui, Rouss and beags.

It's literally impossible for us to not improve. I would like hammer back over edler. Hoping edler sign for big money in calgary lmao.

I would love to add a young defensive RHD too but i'm not sure how many for futures we would chip away at to get there. Hoping for a possible schmidt flip for one. Not that i dislike him at all, He's probably just the most valuable solid defenseman we would be willing to deal.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I never said he didnt deserve to be there.

I said being at the all star game doesnt make you a star player. People throw that description around far too loosely. There are only a handful of true star players in the nhl. Being a good one or a very good one isnt an insult to Boeser. But he is not a star player - yet. Hopefully he becomes one.

Totally there is only a handful of supremely talented athletes in any given league,those that stand head and shoulders above the rest.

Just now, N7Nucks said:

OEL played 20 minutes a game last year. Don't bother responding to the lunacy about OEL not being a top 4 d-man.

Do you think everyone who plays X amount of minutes are capable of playing that much?

Did you think Markus Granlund was a 1st line forward? 

How about Travis Hamonic as a top pairing defender last year?