The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

My only concern with OJ is he seems to have an issue struggling to turn one way and gets beat on that side.  Injury? Strength?  Not sure.  But that needs to get fixed and if it does he is great. 

Edited by TGT68
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

On 6/18/2021 at 11:04 AM, TGT68 said:

My only concern with OJ is he seems to have an issue struggling to turn one way and gets beat on that side.  Injury? Strength?  Not sure.  But that needs to get fixed and if it does he is great. 

Agreed... I caught him talking about it last season... lemme see if I can find the pic... oh here it is:

5KC5Vq47dNy3nFtTFmxwjpkxRaycKMMuIhz8y-MP

• Haha 3

On 6/18/2021 at 11:04 AM, TGT68 said:

Can you please show me video proof of every NHL player not getting beat?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

I don't think they ever said that OJ's the only player ever who gets beat.

10 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

That's true, but OJ has this as a nagging issue. It actually changes the way he plays to adapt to it.

On 6/16/2021 at 5:30 PM, BarnBurner said:

Yeah. I can't believe how some people on this forum keep beating him down. Let's see what the boy's got when he's healthy before throwing swords.

just don't see him like that. plus Green doesn't either, he keeps sitting him and doesn't give him a regular shift. I know some one will come up with an excuse, but that's what it will be an excuse. I see little difference between OJ and other D prospects except Rathbone who's clearly a step ahead. I hope the roster spot is decided on merit and not politics ( high draft pick by JB )

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

10 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

How many times do I have to post this so you don't spread misinformation? :lol:

Was true for what looks to be 3 games in March when they had several game time decisions.  Most of his scratches weren't for cap purposes but roster decisions.  Benning even commented that coaches trust veterans and by trading Benn it would open a spot for Juolevi.   

CapFriendly has access to the NHL transaction page where the record IR, LTIR, demotions, recalls, waivers etc.  They keep track of the daily cap hits.  

There were 37 games before the Covid outbreak - he played 15 and missed 22.  Juolevi's last game was Feb 26.  He was demoted on 4 March ahead of the game.   That's 15 games out of 26 possible.  Till then he was on the NHL roster so his 11 scratches weren't about cap or roster spots. 

This was the salary cap situation on 26 February with Juolevi on the roster - the Canucks were in LTIR.

Bonus pool               Salary pool

Pools                                        0                         4.725M          Ferland 3.5M + Motte 1.225M

Roster players                   - 233K                     - 3.691M          They used LTIR to complete the roster including recalling Höglander to start the season

Höglander's bonus            +233K                        - 233K           As the bonus pool is 0 his bonus comes out of the salary pool

= Still available                         0                             800K          By addition                                    

Demoting Juolevi           +1.05M                        + 863K           His demotion created a bonus pool

Höglander's bonus          - 233K                        + 233K           Höglander's bonus no longer comes out of the salary pool but the bonus pool                    

recalling Michaelis                                             -  700K               

= Still available                  817K                        1.197M            By addition (1.05-233K) and (800 + 863 + 233 - 700)

817K in the bonus pool and 1.197M in the salary pool was more than sufficient cap space to recall Juolevi - which they actually did on 10 March but he didn't play and was sent back the next day.  Bailey was only put on LTIR on 17 March although injured already in February - they could have added 750K earlier to the LTIR salary pool if they needed to.

A Juolevi recall is a 1.097M cap hit to the salary pool (863K his salary + 233K Höglander's bonus).  His bonus is covered by the bonus pool his own demotion created but Höglander's bonus would have to be moved back to the salary pool (like it was before the Juolevi demotion).

Pool                                  817K                       1.197M

Juolevi recall                  -1.05M                       - 863K           

Hoglander                      + 233K                       - 233K

= Still available                    0                             100K                         

With Juolevi on the taxi squad they were able to recall Eriksson on emergency basis - his recall cap hit is 1.075M (the amount that could be buried - just 22K less than Juolevi's).  When Eriksson was up on emergency basis (for 1 game on 13 March), Juolevi would have had to be sent down for cap reasons.

From 13 March (Eriksson's emergency recall) to 19 March (Pettersson going on LTIR) - they claimed Vesey off waivers and activated Motte on 17 March off LTIR, cap would have been too tight to keep Juolevi on the roster but not otherwise.

Roster spots look to have been the issue.  They elected to recall Michaelis to play him over MacEwen.   Juolevi also wasn't playing and he cost over 12x times less on the taxi squad than on the NHL roster (70K vs 863K).  Among the non regulars only Juolevi and Michaelis were waiver free.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, mll said:

Was true for what looks to be 3 games in March when they had several game time decisions.  Most of his scratches weren't for cap purposes but roster decisions.  Benning even commented that coaches trust veterans and by trading Benn it would open a spot for Juolevi.   

CapFriendly has access to the NHL transaction page where the record IR, LTIR, demotions, recalls, waivers etc.  They keep track of the daily cap hits.  

There were 37 games before the Covid outbreak - he played 15 and missed 22.  Juolevi's last game was Feb 26.  He was demoted on 4 March ahead of the game.   That's 15 games out of 26 possible.  Till then he was on the NHL roster so his 11 scratches weren't about cap or roster spots. 

This was the salary cap situation on 26 February with Juolevi on the roster - the Canucks were in LTIR.

Bonus pool               Salary pool

Pools                                        0                         4.725M          Ferland 3.5M + Motte 1.225M

Roster players                   - 233K                     - 3.691M          They used LTIR to complete the roster including recalling Höglander to start the season

Höglander's bonus            +233K                        - 233K           As the bonus pool is 0 his bonus comes out of the salary pool

= Still available                         0                             800K          By addition                                    

Demoting Juolevi           +1.05M                        + 863K           His demotion created a bonus pool

Höglander's bonus          - 233K                        + 233K           Höglander's bonus no longer comes out of the salary pool but the bonus pool                    

recalling Michaelis                                             -  700K               

= Still available                  817K                        1.197M            By addition (1.05-233K) and (800 + 863 + 233 - 700)

817K in the bonus pool and 1.197M in the salary pool was more than sufficient cap space to recall Juolevi - which they actually did on 10 March but he didn't play and was sent back the next day.  Bailey was only put on LTIR on 17 March although injured already in February - they could have added 750K earlier to the LTIR salary pool if they needed to.

A Juolevi recall is a 1.097M cap hit to the salary pool (863K his salary + 233K Höglander's bonus).  His bonus is covered by the bonus pool his own demotion created but Höglander's bonus would have to be moved back to the salary pool (like it was before the Juolevi demotion).

Pool                                  817K                       1.197M

Juolevi recall                  -1.05M                       - 863K           

Hoglander                      + 233K                       - 233K

= Still available                    0                             100K                         

With Juolevi on the taxi squad they were able to recall Eriksson on emergency basis - his recall cap hit is 1.075M (the amount that could be buried - just 22K less than Juolevi's).  When Eriksson was up on emergency basis (for 1 game on 13 March), Juolevi would have had to be sent down for cap reasons.

From 13 March (Eriksson's emergency recall) to 19 March (Pettersson going on LTIR) - they claimed Vesey off waivers and activated Motte on 17 March off LTIR, cap would have been too tight to keep Juolevi on the roster but not otherwise.

Roster spots look to have been the issue.  They elected to recall Michaelis to play him over MacEwen.   Juolevi also wasn't playing and he cost over 12x times less on the taxi squad than on the NHL roster (70K vs 863K).  Among the non regulars only Juolevi and Michaelis were waiver free.

Not all contractual aspects are depicted on Capfriendly, however, it does give a good general idea. If Drancer and Greener are both saying there was contractual reasons, there had to be an underlying reason. 

The Benning comment is odd however, a coach doesn't tend to talk about contractual issues, which leads me to believe Greener rather than Jimbo. Seemed more like Jim saving face rather than anything else. Playing Benn to get an asset at the deadline was also a major reason I would think.

Regardless, Olli has more to give, and I hope he can prove himself this year.

also..

pivot moving GIF :towel:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Olli will be just fine , relax and enjoy the show.

And Quinn Hughes...as Olli, Quinn and Jack (and hopefully Jett) mature and gain experience at the NHL level, the Canucks back end will be solid for years to come.  Just need a couple more behemoth defensive stalwarts and all will be fine.

• Cheers 3

On 6/23/2021 at 8:20 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

I feel like as fans in general people have become too impatient with young defensemen. It takes years to learn that side of the game and not be a liability from time to time. 

You know Jimmy, you are right! (Now go show this to your wife! LOL)

But seriously, I have no problem trading one of our LHD to fill in the void on RHD

But we need to know how good they are first.

All 3 really have not had alot of experience..........IMO, we should give it a year, then lets talk about it.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

But seriously, I have no problem trading one of our LHD to fill in the void on RHD

All 3 really have not had alot of experience..........IMO, we should give it a year, then lets talk about it.

Woo probably not ready this year even for a call up. I think he'll start getting call us to the big club next year if he continues to trend well. 

I think Rathbone makes it but probably not as a top four defenseman. Bottom pairing guy to start with until he gains more of Green's trust. I could be wrong and he just Höglanders it. 

27 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Woo probably not ready this year even for a call up. I think he'll start getting call us to the big club next year if he continues to trend well. 

I think Rathbone makes it but probably not as a top four defenseman. Bottom pairing guy to start with until he gains more of Green's trust. I could be wrong and he just Höglanders it. 

Yeah I'm not sure how to tell how ready a defensive dman is for the jump, but I'm guessing the best way to see is to get them some games via call ups to see how they fair versus NHL competition.

Seeing how Fox did, I wouldn't be surprised if Rathbone transitions well coming from the same program and becomes a solid impact player right away.

2 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Yeah I'm not sure how to tell how ready a defensive dman is for the jump, but I'm guessing the best way to see is to get them some games via call ups to see how they fair versus NHL competition.

Seeing how Fox did, I wouldn't be surprised if Rathbone transitions well coming from the same program and becomes a solid impact player right away.

I think Fox is definitely a better player than Rathbone. But I wouldn’t rule out Rathbone from being an impact player for the Canucks. 

He showed well in the 16 games he played in last season. I expect some good things from him this upcoming season. 

Woo on the other hand, I’d love for him to make the team, but I just don’t see it. I think he needs another season of seasoning in the AHL with Abby. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

we've been together for 23 years Jan, that ship sailed a long time ago

10 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I like OJ, but if I had to bet right now between OJ and Rathbone I'd bet Jim trades OJ if he can upgrade the right side in particular.