The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnterpeg Jets | March 1, 2021 | 5 p.m. PT | SNP, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Green played 970 NHL games at a 0.47 ppg which is above the norm by anyone's book. It is the coach's job to manage every player. Green often talks about the influence Al Arbour had on his hockey coaching. In an aborted season like this one I think it is a stretch to suggest that Green is losing it. 3 years of steady progression with a very young core. Who knows if there is something in his personality that won't let him take the team further. It will be Benning who will have to make that call. 

24 games at 8 - 14 - 2. They have ran the spectrum of 7 - 1 win versus 7-1 losses. A leading scorer who has hit a league leading number of cross bars. A key defender, Hamonic, who has played 3 games? Arguably the worse sched in the NHL to start a season. It sounds like I am making excuses but I think there is a lot of truth to suggest that coach Green, who was the toast of the town, last summer during CUP play, has not lost his cred. The season is half done, their are not likely to make playoffs, play out the season. Deal players who are not in the long term plans, develop and evaluate, rotate the prospects thru the lineup. Worry about the coaching staff after the season is over. Draft a top ten player. Sign Podz and Tryamkin asap. Love to see Tryamkin play 10 games this year.      

That's entirely too much logic for this site lol.   Making a claim (to which you responded too) that Green the former player - is projecting his own inequities as a player, onto the current roster is a little much.   How did Pat Quin, Don Cherry, Bruce Bodreaue,  Quenville et al do compared to their careers?  It's often the guys in the bottom, middle six - that have to think the game at a higher level, because they are not as naturally gifted.   Add Crawford to the list.  And a lot of other guys.   TG?  Who knows.   None of us our privy to what happens behind closed doors.   Maybe we just aren't as good as we thought - maybe it's the coaching - maybe a bit of both. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Yeah, I know all that. Obviously he had a sold career. But he definitely wasn't the hot shot scorer that he was in the WHL. He's even admitted he got beat down my Al Arbour. All I'm saying is with what he went through, he probably has some lingering feelings and memories that he wished he could have done more. You telling me that you don't have any regrets? 

Lingering feelings?...maybe...who am I to know? My point was he had a really good career. If he does have regrets...I believe him to be a good professional and not allow that to interfere with his coaching.

To answer your question, I can honestly say that in trying to be a good leader I have disappointments and regrets. However, I don't take them out on my current team members.

I appreciate your speculative opinion; I just don't agree that it is likely to be a significant factor (if at all) in what ails this team.

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That's entirely too much logic for this site lol.   Making a claim (to which you responded too) that Green the former player - is projecting his own inequities as a player, onto the current roster is a little much.   How did Pat Quin, Don Cherry, Bruce Bodreaue,  Quenville et al do compared to their careers?  It's often the guys in the bottom, middle six - that have to think the game at a higher level, because they are not as naturally gifted.   Add Crawford to the list.  And a lot of other guys.   TG?  Who knows.   None of us our privy to what happens behind closed doors.   Maybe we just aren't as good as we thought - maybe it's the coaching - maybe a bit of both. 

There are always exceptions to most things.  Larry Robinson for example.  I can ignore Stan Smyl's disaster as head coach on the Moose due to inexperience (never had, to my knowledge, a real hockey head coaching job before that).

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BarnBurner said:

I get not showing your cards to the media or public, but this guy rarely shows any emotion during the games. I've never been a hater, but it's getting old. This team needs passion, a sense of purpose. Green isn't inspiring it.

Well his f!ck yeah will never get old.   I don't want a coach that stands three inches way from a guy like EP and screams in his ear (Aka Torts to PLD) on the bench.   Or uses mind games like Babcock did with Marner.   And don't need to be entertained before or after games either - rarely watch that part of the mandated NHL - think they've gone a little too far in that respect, as in no respect - just let them play and go home with a couple fishboy Friedman lean ins and go home.    Didn't use to be like a major fight was coming up and we all needed the pre scoop - and don't think it's healthy for any fanbase win or lose either.   Couldn't care less what he says or any other coach.   Results matter for sure - and his results this year are poor.  

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think Green is trying to generate some offence from the bottom 6, and showcasing Virtanen in a spot where he might succeed and produce, meaning his trade value goes up.

It has nothing to do with Green being unsatisfied with Hogz

I think jake is not motivated to play for green as a coach.  when jake has a good game he goes back on 3rd line.  or benched or in the bleachers..... thats what his mindset is set too.  so its why he floats around either or he just plays on 3rd 

• RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, aznmonk said:

I think jake is not motivated to play for green as a coach.  when jake has a good game he goes back on 3rd line.  or benched or in the bleachers..... thats what his mindset is set too.  so its why he floats around either or he just plays on 3rd 

Yeah, JV doesn't seem to respond well to the staffs tendency of putting him into a specific role.

18 minutes ago, aznmonk said:

I don't think Jake knows what he is supposed to be doing. I believe he has played on Every Line and has no home on either of them. 

Your right though, when Jake has a good game there usually is some kind of demotion, immediately. 

Its weird that a coach treats one of his players like that and I have never seen it before. 

The coach does have his favorites though.

It’s been a frustrating season, but I still feel like we’re on the right track. Losing Markstrom and Tanev hurts the most this season, but each season after it’ll feel less so, especially as Demko and some new defensemen become stronger. 
It might be a step back this year, but our foundation is still solid moving forward and we’ll have success soon enough so long as we don’t blow the whole thing up.

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Not sure what you want him to say.

If he shows panic and urgency the opponents hone in on that.  I find these interviews painful and don't bother because they are just filling the voids for the most part.  Acting like he doesn't care in the media doesn't mean he doesn't care.  You want the guys in charge to have a composed, calm demeanour.  

It's called a poker face.  You don't have to gasp and shove all in when you have pocket aces...you pretend you have 7-2 offsuit.

Zero emotion.   No frustration.  Don’t care what you call it, this man has no hand to play. What I would love to see is maybe the same speech but with some visible distress.  That’s all.    Maybe say.... yes we are playing like hot garbage!