The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GetWellThread] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | April 16 | 6 p.m. | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

46 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Just so you guys know. He’s going to say that regardless. He’s not going to say the plan is to let them go when there’s still games to be played I’ll tell you that.

However my opinion is Ian has got to be the top priority over the other 3, not a doubt about it. I would also be cool if Green came back but with some new experienced assistants. Not sure bringing them all back is the greatest idea though 

I know, I know, I just hate seeing it.. 

He can't be straight with the media with stuff like that, because they're toxic bastards 

New assistants at the very least is a must 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I know, I know, I just hate seeing it.. 

He can't be straight with the media with stuff like that, because they're toxic bastards 

New assistants at the very least is a must 

If Pearson was the straw that broke the camels back, extending the Baumer and Brown would be like putting an elephant on top.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

If Pearson was the straw that broke the camels back, extending the Baumer and Brown would be like putting an elephant on top.

Every team has a Pearson or multiple Pearsons. The cap hit and length was pretty good for what he brings (top tier PK, top tier shutdown minutes). It'd cost more than 2x as much to get a younger guy who scores 5-10 more goals a season, and probably at least for 6 years (likely 8) too. Horvat's been an enigma over the years in regards to compatible wingers, and Pearson's proven the best fit in over 6 seasons for our Captain. Now, these 2 need a 3rd steady line mate who can dig with speed, and outstanding vision: Hogz.

Three biggest pieces needed moving forward, with the existing signed assets are:

1. A true #2 for Quinn. Someone like Tanev, but younger. Someone who is invariably always back.

2. 3C with speed and a great passer for Motte/MacEwen/Gaudette.. all potential 3W, and all are bang bang type guys.

3. Coaching staff with the ability to adapt to what we have, rather than forcing players into a boring low brow blue collar display of statistics on ice.

We've the depth from within to ice a very good team, with a good uptempo puck pressure system (not the passive star).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Can someone remind me of when our next potential game will be? Or do we know yet?

Speculation is that they plan on returning to action on the 17th.

Of course that depends on health officials giving the ok to return to Rogers Arena.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Squamfan said:

I mean you have Hedman on any team and their D is going to look stacked.

Cernak and Sergachev are only recent additions at 23 and 22 years old, and then you trade for a couple established vets.

If anything this shows that a D core can be built in pretty short order if you already have that number 1 stud.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean you have Herman on any team and their D is going to look stacked.

Cernak and Sergachev are only recent additions at 23 and 22 years old, and then you trade for a couple established vets.

If anything this shows that a D core can be built in pretty short order if you already have that number 1 stud.

Tampa is going to have trouble keeping their talented D next year due to the expansion draft and salary cap. I wonder if the Canucks have a shot at any of them. I’d love to see Cernak on our blue line.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Maybe we draft Owen Power?

I do like how the Canucks are trying to build a super mobile, puck-moving D group through the draft. We just need to see what we have in them.

Quinn Hughes will only get better with age and strength, but we have to hope Rathbone, Woo, and Juolevi can become regular contributors. Tryamkin is an enigma.
Truscott, Utunen, Persson, and Jurmo (very intriguing skillset) are longshots, but fit the vision. 

Add a Brandt Clarke to that group and suddenly we're looking incredibly dynamic on the back-end, but we are missing toughness and defensive presence.

• Vintage 1

I hope they don't push them before they're ready.

I know these are young, super fit athletes but this is such an unknown.

I am dying without hockey, but can wait until the time's right.

With that....I guess they have good medical advisors.   I know they're intent on getting all 56 games in but not at anyone's expense for sure.  I guess Dr. Bonnie & Adrian have weighed in?  What a weird time we're in.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Learn to take a joke.

For the record, I have a few trophies and awards at home for public speaking and performances so...

You have trophies, too?

Mine were easy to get, just go down to the trophy shop and tell them to etch in what you want.

• Haha 1

Rough re-introduction with loads of back to backs after not playing for so long and possibly some coming out of Covid, it's a bit unfair to the players but I suppose they'd want to play.

I expect us to lose 75% of these games, we're going to get battered. Shame because we're 8 points back of the Habs and you never know, without Covid and time constraints (and Montreal slipping) anything could have happened, but this outbreak has ended any hope we had.