The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

21 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

My mistake, and apologies, that information wasn’t in the post I replied to. I didn’t read your earlier post, and wasn’t aware of that specific detail (signed CHL contract). 

It’ll be interesting to see if and what kind of ruling is made on his status, as I can see a case for it going either way.

It doesn’t appear that the Huskies loaned him back, so I’d be curious if the CHL contract he signed was still considered valid for his draft season, or was voided. Certainly the Huskies maintain CHL rights, either way, but the question is who truly held contractual rights for his draft season, and whether he falls under the category of European or CHL prospect.

The Canucks must have checked into the legalities of signing him though. Sounds like they are moving ahead on it

I wonder if they might have a cash compensation in play with the Rouyn-Noranda club in order to secure his release from his contract if in fact that is required

Edited by Kootenay Gold

1 minute ago, Kootenay Gold said:

The Canucks must have checked into the legalities of singing him though. Sounds like they are moving ahead on it

I wonder if they might have a cash compensation in play with the Rouyn-Noranda club in order to secure his release from his contract if in fact that is required

CHL players, who played pro last year because of Covid, can play in the A this year.  I thought I read that on TSN.  

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME Found some interesting document online https://media.nhl.com/site/asset/public/ext/2020-21/2020-21TransitionRulesCriticalDates.pdf

Rule 13, Article 8 "For purposes of determining where a Player who is drafted in the 2021 NHL Draft was “drafted from” under the provisions of Article 8, a Player will be deemed to have been “drafted from” the league and team as follows:

i) if the Player played during the 2020-21 season, the league and team for which he played during the 2020-21 season as per traditional practice, provided, however:

A) if the Player played in a league outside North America during the 2020-21 season but had never played in a league outside North America prior to the 2020-21 season, the league and team for which he played during the 2019-20 season as per the traditional practice" - not our case, as well as following points B and C...

Klimovich is deemed to be drafted from Europe according to this NHL document published due to the covid situation in NA. Hooray! Welcome to Abbotsford, Danila!

man the good news keeps coming, I might make the trip out to Abby later this year to watch him. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME Found some interesting document online https://media.nhl.com/site/asset/public/ext/2020-21/2020-21TransitionRulesCriticalDates.pdf

Rule 13, Article 8 "For purposes of determining where a Player who is drafted in the 2021 NHL Draft was “drafted from” under the provisions of Article 8, a Player will be deemed to have been “drafted from” the league and team as follows:

i) if the Player played during the 2020-21 season, the league and team for which he played during the 2020-21 season as per traditional practice, provided, however:

A) if the Player played in a league outside North America during the 2020-21 season but had never played in a league outside North America prior to the 2020-21 season, the league and team for which he played during the 2019-20 season as per the traditional practice" - not our case, as well as following points B and C...

Klimovich is deemed to be drafted from Europe according to this NHL document published due to the covid situation in NA. Hooray!

Thanks for looking it up, I was going to do the same later, but hadn’t had the time yet.

This fits with my understanding, and also what I’ve seen of Danila’s status as a “European” prospect, when it comes to his NHL draft status, and resulting rules, as to contracts, agreements, and AHL eligibility.

It’s still interesting though. I think there might be another clause when it comes to a player who gets loaned to Europe, while under contract in the CHL, but that might only apply when the player has previously played games in a CHL season (I think in some situations, such a player is deemed a CHL prospect).

But in Danila’s case, it would appear that he’s AHL eligible, should the Canucks choose that path.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

55 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

My mistake, and apologies, that information wasn’t in the post I replied to. I didn’t read your earlier post, and wasn’t aware of that specific detail (signed CHL contract). 

It’ll be interesting to see if and what kind of ruling is made on his status, as I can see a case for it going either way.

It doesn’t appear that the Huskies loaned him back, so I’d be curious if the CHL contract he signed was still considered valid for his draft season, or was voided. Certainly the Huskies maintain CHL rights, either way, but the question is who truly held contractual rights for his draft season, and whether he falls under the category of European or CHL prospect.

This was my confusion as well, I understand he signed a contract but he never actually played a game or even set foot on NA soil, so is the contract still considered valid, especially since an entire season has passed. Obviously the Huskies have a case if they really decide that they want him on their team, especially if the have already made an investment in the player, but as I understand it the Import Draft is a very fickle thing. All teams only get 2 picks, goalies are ineligible, almost all teams have agreements already in place before they draft a player because there are so few draft picks per team, many teams choose to simply not make any picks in the draft and other teams will intentionally draft a high end prospect from Europe, with whom they have no agreement in place with, with the sole intention of screwing over a team further down the draft order that has an agreement with the player.

The issue that I see that makes a case for him to be an AHL eligible player is that nowhere in his player status in Europe is he on considered "On Loan" a la Brandt Clarke or Logan Mailloux. So it's possible that there may be some sort of loophole in his CHL/AHL eligibility. I would hope that Benning has already researched this situation and knows how it will play out or at the very least one would assume his Agent should know what his status is and he did say if Klimovich doesn't make the team than the "AHL is a very strong possibility".

Edit: I see this got solved while I was writing this. Hooray lol

Edited by 204CanucksFan

50 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think the Canucks should sign him and loan him to the swedish Leagues where he can move up and down, depending on his play

much like the KHL, but with better control

He'd thrive with Dinamo Minsk.  Canadian coach (Craig Woodcroft) who has a decent coaching resume ... skills development coach for 3 years for St Louis,  ran the rookie development camp for Nashville for 3 years and was one of the assistent coaches for Canadas 2018 Olympic Team.  Coached in Germany and Switzerland, and was named Minsk coach in summer 2019.  Made the playoffs this spring, where they lost to Podkolzin's SKA St Petersburg 

(One of their stars during the regular season - injured, so didn't make the playoffs -  was Spooner, with 39 points in 36 games.  Yes, that Spooner, who cost us a little cap space last season)

Edited by Googlie
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Fred65 said:

You see things like getting excited over some one elses kid, good but it has limitations. Excited over my kids and grandchildren now you're talking. Hockey players are really commodities, like for instance pork bellies, buy low and sell high. How do you judge a hockey player, by his accomplishment. He produces, that's good ( for the team ) plays bad. move along. Hockey is a business, not a concert  with lots of lights  and loud music LOL

And here I thought Alf was the drunk on these boards. What does that even mean?

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

man the good news keeps coming, I might make the trip out to Abby later this year to watch him. 

Yeah I have a friend who lives in Abbotsford so I may do a weekend trip or two to see my friend and watch a few games.  I did that when we had the Abbotsford Heat.  The arena is actually quite nice.  Not sure if they've upgraded it since 2013.  

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Thanks for looking it up, I was going to do the same later, but hadn’t had the time yet.

This fits with my understanding, and also what I’ve seen of Danila’s status as a “European” prospect, when it comes to his NHL draft status, and resulting rules, as to contracts, agreements, and AHL eligibility.

It’s still interesting though. I think there might be another clause when it comes to a player who gets loaned to Europe, while under contract in the CHL, but that might only apply when the player has previously played games in a CHL season (I think in some situations, such a player is deemed a CHL prospect).

But in Danila’s case, it would appear that he’s AHL eligible, should the Canucks choose that path.

Wouldn’t sending him to the AHL make the most sense? The Canucks can watch him in Abby. They would also have basically 100 percent control over his development. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Wouldn’t sending him to the AHL make the most sense? The Canucks can watch him in Abby. They would also have basically 100 percent control over his development. 

I think so. If they’re going to sign him now and have the option, might as well take full control over his development, rather than entrust another organization, either KHL or CHL, and hope they do right by him.

The Canucks are obviously high on him and think they’ve got a future NHLer in Klimovich. I think Cull and his staff could put him on the right path.

And contracts still slide in the AHL, so his 3 year ELC could be extended as long as 5 years (with it sliding twice).

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think so. If they’re going to sign him now and have the option, might as well take full control over his development, rather than entrust another organization, either KHL or CHL, and hope they do right by him.

The Canucks are obviously high on him and think they’ve got a future NHLer in Klimovich. I think Cull and his staff could put him on the right path.

And contracts still slide in the AHL, so his 3 year ELC could be extended as long as 5 years (with it sliding twice).

I for one am certainly glad folks like you know the ins and outs of player/team contracts. I like how this team can now have a more hands on approach to their farm system with the team in Abby. The twins it seems will certainly know how bad traffic can be on Hwy 1 too.

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think the Canucks should sign him and loan him to the swedish Leagues where he can move up and down, depending on his play

much like the KHL, but with better control

Youngsters get limited ice time in SHL amd KHL rather have him im Abbotsford playing more minutes under our control.

• Like 1