The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Just for the record, I don't really like Aggressive Benning...

Yeah no one does at this point

I don't get this trade. Benning said during the middle of last season the team was 2 years away from competing. Why give up your future to get a player who is probably past his prime and unloading contacts when it would be off loaded after the 2021 / 2022 season anyways. 

Why do this when your window isn't even this season?

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Will you be crying when we win the cup?

Like I said, I'm not sure what to think of the trade quite yet.

I was on the "waiting train", whereby I figured if we simply let the contracts run out after next season we'll be in a position to make a real splash the following year. In this case, we gave up some futures to compete right away, and even though that wasn't my own "vision" for the team, I can see why it was done that way. Hardly crying. 

On the flip side, it will make this coming season a whole lot more fun to watch. If players like Bo really were getting disgruntled, this should help alleviate that. It also fills positions which we were going to have to fill one way or another regardless.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, austy said:

Settle down the retention details weren't published when I posted. 

So why don't you wait to see the details before spouting off that the trade is garbage when you don't have all the facts? But I guess your thoughts on the matter are more important than reality I'm sure. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I think trading Schmidt would be a mistake.  He's (imho) far better than what he shown last season due to the amount of tough defensive minutes he got.  

We need more truculence on the blueline.  With the cap space I would go hard for Hakanpaa and Hamonic. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

When was the last time we could legit go into a season believing it was a good team?  2014? 

So exciting.

Super excited for what JB brings in for the bottom 6 aswell!

Vesey, Boyd, Rouss, Sutter, Beags... :picard:

See the door gentlemen!

17 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Feel very similar to this, if they retained 2m I’d feel a lot better! But still feel very good! Def agree with replacing Edler with a younger Edler, OEL is a better skater though! He’s been pinned down trying to carry a $&!#e team for a long time now can’t wait to see what he can do for the next 4 years should be fun to see, the last two might be where we get burned a little bit, shall see. 

I agree, if it was a bit more retained I would have liked it more. And as you said he has been on a crappy team this whole time with poor D deployment and D coaching. He has looked worse the past few yrs but after a while when you come to the rink knowing that you are playing for nothing it can affect your game. The other thing people forget is that Shaw will be more involved and have more input on how this team plays D and our D system which can only improve, in turn getting the best out of this D core including OEL. 

• Cheers 1