The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks G Holtby To Be Bought Out

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm a little bummed about Nate. I like him as a player, too bad there isn't a good fit here at the moment. 

Absolutely. He's a great dman, but I sour pretty quickly on players who want out like this, especially after one season like this. There's also the goofy side of him that, although can be endearing, can be quite annoying to lots of players, so I won't be terribly sad when he's gone. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

at the moment we have 25 million in cap space. Soon to be spent, but damn Jim did say he'd be aggressive. But holy $&!# thats a lot of space.

I've been trying to make myself feel better about the 2.4 mil in dead cap, and looking at James Neal getting paid 1.9 mil by EDM for 4 more years kinda does that. 

I wonder how much the eventual Hyman buyout is gonna cost them?

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Surprised that so many teams showed interest but clearly they wanted us to retain cap. 

To be honest I'd rather just keep Holtby for next season rather than buy him out. A buyout will basically still cost us 2M in cap space and we'll have to go find a UFA goalie who are mostly around 1-2M anyway. Unless JB has someone lined up who's fantastic for 1M, there's not really much point buying Holtby out.

Buyout cost for this year is only 500k. Next season it's 1.9M but that's next year's problem. See https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks.

I would have also liked to have kept Holtby but we need to clear up cap to sign our RFAs and add to the defence.

If Schmidt is indeed to be traded, we also need to target an RHD via free agency so need to create more cap space.

With the addition of OEL, I am tempted to bring Edler back on a 2-3 mil contract. I have a memory of watching Edler-OEL as a pairing for team Sweden and they played great together (maybe it was Sochi or one of the World Championships). Long time ago but they might still have the chemistry.

Edler-OEL

Hughes-RHD (Savard or bring back Hamonic)

Rathbone-Myers

Juolevi

Trade Schmidt for help up front.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Idk man. Benning burns alot of his money for nothing. As far as I understand it benning makes the hockey moves and AQ signs the cheques. 

Holtby 

Loui E 

Baerstchi

Just off the top of my head of completely useless wastes of money

Thing is you're playing hindsight, we can all do that.

Holtby, a declining starter signed two years at a decent cap providing the team an exposure requirement and fall back option should Demko of struggled. He has served his purpose in Vancouver and not being taken in expansion left this move as the final option.

Loui Eriksson, people all forget the actual UFA crop the year he was signed, the understandably higher caphit required to secure his services when competing with a league full of teams, he was a top nine forward everywhere and had potential to play with the Sedins, the team signed him at market value and the potential was there.

Baerstchi, had for a 2nd round pick, a potentially productive winger further developed then using that 2nd rounder was not at all a bad idea, it didn't work out in the end.

BUT, you can go around the League and see multiple scenarios here similar in nature, its the business. Maybe just don't take for granted Vancouver has ownership that will sign the cheques and move forward with these " mistakes " because its a League-wide problem not Benning or Vancouver specific.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Thing is you're playing hindsight, we can all do that.

Holtby, a declining starter signed two years at a decent cap providing the team an exposure requirement and fall back option should Demko of struggled. He has served his purpose in Vancouver and not being taken in expansion left this move as the final option.

Loui Eriksson, people all forget the actual UFA crop the year he was signed, the understandably higher caphit required to secure his services when competing with a league full of teams, he was a top nine forward everywhere and had potential to play with the Sedins, the team signed him at market value and the potential was there.

Baerstchi, had for a 2nd round pick, a potentially productive winger further developed then using that 2nd rounder was not at all a bad idea, it didn't work out in the end.

BUT, you can go around the League and see multiple scenarios here similar in nature, its the business. Maybe just don't take for granted Vancouver has ownership that will sign the cheques and move forward with these " mistakes " because its a League-wide problem not Benning or Vancouver specific.

Hey I'm just trying to think what's going through AQs mind. In a regular workplace if you go to your boss every year with a huge 10m dollar mistake do you have a job?

8 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

I agree he's used allot of cash for seemingly no reason,  but he has from the start. The only way a GM like that keeps his job is if the owner has been in on those decisions and approves whatever reason they internally have for them. Aqua is not an absent owner. It's no secret he wants to have more to do with the team than signing cheques. Just ask Mike Gillis 

Gillis took on a contender and kept adding while diminishing the team's youth and futures, he had run his curse as GM, his style lead to him exhausting the resources he had utilized to maintain contendership for the club. He did well yes in the window but not overall.

Zero issue with Aquallini being in on decisions, sitting in on negotiations etc its his toy.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Hey I'm just trying to think what's going through AQs mind. In a regular workplace if you go to your boss every year with a huge 10m dollar mistake do you have a job?

Just like every other GM pretty much.  You make moves, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.  When they don't you figure out how to fix the problem and move on.  Seems to me none of these "mistakes" have much of an impact to this point.

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

Pretty sure Schmidt has to be traded.  Boeser and Motte contracts are up next year.  So need cap space to re-sign them if it's still a flat cap.  And Ferland contract ends after the 2022-2023 season (same time as JV + Holtby buyouts).

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

Not too surprised. I'd rather buy him out and lose the 1.9m next year when we have more cap space than retain this season or give up assets.

Not sure about that really.   Don't think this is the year to go all in ... and who exactly is coming in that saves us that money over the next couple of years.   If it's about RFA signings and cap then maybe it's ok.   But i'm going to be unhappy if i see QHs 8x8 or something that ridiculous.   6 x 8 ok.  Then we have to compete for a limited number of backups available in free agency.   Not like last year.    And MD is not ready. 

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Surprised that so many teams showed interest but clearly they wanted us to retain cap. 

To be honest I'd rather just keep Holtby for next season rather than buy him out. A buyout will basically still cost us 2M in cap space and we'll have to go find a UFA goalie who are mostly around 1-2M anyway. Unless JB has someone lined up who's fantastic for 1M, there's not really much point buying Holtby out.

Well, sad as it is, Holtby was pretty brutal overall last year and even if we're paying more, a decent backup might be nice.

30 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Absolutely. He's a great dman, but I sour pretty quickly on players who want out like this, especially after one season like this. There's also the goofy side of him that, although can be endearing, can be quite annoying to lots of players, so I won't be terribly sad when he's gone. 

Hard to know for sure but that's what it looks like from the outside.